[TenTec] Pegasus and computer noise problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus and computer noise problems
From: w5yr@att.net (George T. Baker)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:52:03 -0500
I intended to mention this earlier, but it slipped my mind.

I use a Kachina computer-controlled radio and noticed several interfering
signals on the 20-meter band. These seemed to be computer related.

I operate a 300 MHZ Pentium II computer in my office and a 500 MHz
Pentium III in the shack. These systems are interconnected by a 100BaseT
EtherNet network, operating at 100 MHz data rate.

One morning when I had failed to turn on the network, I noticed that the
interfering signals on 20 were absent. Turns out that only when the
network is active do I get these signals. Since the CAT5 cable runs over
100 feet through the attic of the house, I feel certain that it is
radiation from the cable that is the source of these signals.

So, if any of you are also operating a small LAN, you might want to
disable it when using your radio. The same interfering signals were also
being picked up by the Icom IC-765, so the problem is not related to
computer control of the Kachina.

Absent the cable operation, the Kachina and the 765 seem totally void of
any computer artifacts even though the system unit and monitor are only a
few feet away from the transceivers. Guess that Gateway monitor is better
shielded than I thought!   ;^)

72/73, George
Fairview, TX   30 mi NE Dallas in Collin county
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 54th year and it just keeps getting better!
R/C since 1964 - AMA 98452   RVing since 1972       Kachina #91900556