[TenTec] Elecraft K2 vs. Ten- Tec

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Elecraft K2 vs. Ten- Tec
From: ac5aa@juno.com (ac5aa@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 21:07:19 -0500
Maybe in raw receiver performance the K2 approaches the VI or VI+ (and
kudo's to them for that).  But does the K2 do FSK?
How about FM (not that the VI's is that great)?
Fast/Slow QSK including switching loop for QSK amp?
Separate RX antenna for beverages?
Notch?
Passband tuning (not IF shift)?
Dual cascadable crystal filters (not monolithics)?
Variable RF gain and attenuator?
Excellent built-in DSP?

Most of these (minus FM and possibly the attenuator), and also 100W
output, I consider mandatory for my DXing which is done with very
marginal antennas.  So, no, I don't expect a K2 to replace my Omni VI+,
or to begin to measure up on overall performance.

That said, the K2 is a superb design for a small, 10W radio with an
excellent receiver.  The price range is also good, although if it were
assembled it would certainly be significantly more expensive (but I'd
like to consider building one at some point!).  Yep, I'd consider it a
second radio, and one that I'm definitely considering.  But NOT to
replace my VI+!

        73, Duane   AC5AA

On Wed, 03 May 2000 16:54:34 -0700 Jim Lowman <jmlowman@ix.netcom.com>
writes:

> In size, maybe, the Scout would be comparable.  As far as features,
> I'd rate the K2 as a small Omni VI Plus.
>
> I have an Argo 556, which is a Scout without the 50w amplifier.
> Unfortunately, T-T discontinued that model a couple of years ago.
>
> I know that it may be hard to believe, but I've seen at least two
> hams
> state, on this list, that they had set their Omnis aside in favor of
> the K2.  We're a loyal bunch here, so that is quite a tribute to
> Wayne
> and Eric.
>
> 73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
> Sherrill WATKINS wrote:
> >
> > Question:  What would be the closest product that Ten Tec offers
> that would be similar to the Elecraft K2 transceiver?  Would it be
> > the Scout??  Thank's- Sherrill W.   k4own

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
ac5aa@juno.com -or- ac5aa@earthlink.net
Day:  dacalvin@us.ibm.com