[TenTec] CENTURION AMP INFO WANTED

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CENTURION AMP INFO WANTED
From: k8vt@ameritech.net (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 23:39:41 -0400
Hi, Jerry....

Gerald C Totten wrote:

> Hi gang,
>   While the subject of amplifiers is being discussed:
>   Does anyone have any info on the "OLD" 422 amplifier?

Yes, I do, but I'm not sure what specific info you are looking for.

> The old adds
> says it is QSK but do not mention vacuum relays.

Yes indeed, it IS QSK, but mine does not use a vacuum relay. I purchased
it used several years ago and called TT to see if I could get a vacuum
relay for it. At the time, they said they could sell me one for around
$100, but asked why I would want to. They said the relay in mine "works
fine, lasts a long time", it operates quietly and is inexpensive to
replace when the time comes and I have had no reason to dispute that
reasoning-and being a frugal (read cheap) ham, I figured I saved a
hundred bucks.

It appears to be a Potter and Brumfield  style of relay. The manual
calls it "K1" and gives a part number of AZ8725-something-something
without giving a manufacturer (maybe someone will recognize the
manufacturer from the number, assuming it is not an in-house TT number).

I have had absolutely no problem with the relay, with the following
caveats:

1) I do operate primarily CW.

2) I use the amplifier sparingly.

3) I usually run at 25-30 wpm and it works fine; if you operate at 68(!)
wpm like someone said in a previous post, I have no clue how well it
will work or what the upper speed is (but I am sure that one phone call
to TT will answer that question).

Your mileage may vary.

> And I don't like or trust ceramic metal
> tubes.  I don't like to "wait" for them to heat up and I don't want to
> let an amp sit with the power on just in case I might need it.

Well, you've got it half right. With the 3-500s, you CAN start
transmitting a few seconds after turn-on. However, once you turn it on,
it's better to leave it on for a while ("just in case you might need
it"). The inrush current from turning it on and off all the time beats
up the tubes a LOT more than just leaving it on.

Overall, I am very well satisfied with the Centurion.

73/Carter/K8VT