[TenTec] PSK31 on my Scout 555

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PSK31 on my Scout 555
From: brian@iquest.net (Brian)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:32:13 -0500
Hi gang,

I'm a lurker here but now I have a question that I need some help
with.

I have a PSK31 interface built for my Scout.

I have a shielded audio cable going from my headphone jack on the
radio to the MIC IN jack of my Dell P3 Laptop.  I have a shielded
audio cable from the LINE OUT of my PC going to my interface. My
interface is connected to the serial port via lines 5 and 7. My 4 pin
Mic connector is correctly connected to the interface.

When I first turn the rig on, with Digipan, I get a beautiful
waterfall and can easily make out the carriers in progress. I can key
the rig from the TX button on the software and I get 7-10 watts out.

Here's the problem.... after the setup has been on and running
(listening, not xmitting) for about a minute, I start getting a squeal
into the MIC IN.  The blows the waterfall away and replaces it with 5
or 6 vertical lines.  I plugged my headphones into the headphone jack
of the PC and when the squeal starts I can hear it on that jack as
well.

To fix it, I unplug the headphone jack onthe radio (disconnecting MIC
IN). Then plug back in....works great....for about 30 sxeconds then it
sqeals again.

Can anyone give me some hints here?

I need to make this squeal stop so I can QSO on PSK31 with my Scout.

Thanks

 KB9BVN NORCAL 2792 FISTS 5695 QRP-L 1540 QRP-ARCI 10223
       39.558 N   86.095 W   Johnson Co., Indiana
   GRID: EM69WN - Ten Tec Scout - Attic Dipole - 5w
 Proud to be a member of the American Radio Relay League
   FISTS Century Club #764/#24 QRP - Flying PIG QRP #-57