[TenTec] <no subject>

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] <no subject>
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:45:39 -0700 (PDT)
On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, molenda wrote:

> Hello everyone:     Question  is it true that the Omni V has better audio
> than the Omni VI on receive?  I had a Kenwood 870 that had wonderful audio

The OMNI V may have a wider audio chain, but uses the same pair of 2.4 KHz
filters (probably about 2.2 KHz bandwidth total at 6 db, my guess) so it
will not compare to any of the Kenwood rigs with a pair of 2.7 filters
that give a total bandwidth that is wider...and have a wider audio chain
after that.  I have a Kenwood rig here much because it gives me very nice
receive audio :-).  I have several Ten Tec rigs here because they give me
other things I want.  My Corsair II with an INRAD 2.8 filter in the first
IF and bypassed second IF get close, but not quite.  Barry, N1EU has taken
the audio from an early stage in his Corsair and says he has wonderful
audio, so Ten Tecs may be opened up (problematic for the OMNI VI with the
DSP in line, and the OMNI V with notch/audio bandpass in the AGC loop?)

Any improvements on the audio output?  I'd love to know.

Clark
WA3JPG