[TenTec] Phones for the Scout/Argo

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Phones for the Scout/Argo
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:33:16 -0500

I've been using a $10 pair of Sony headphones with my Omni VI's and Delta II
for the past two years.  They work great.  They fit around my ears and I
don't even hear the central A/C.  They are light and comfortable for
long-weekend contests and they sound pretty good, too.

They are somewhat lightweight in the frame department and so I exercise care
when I'm using them and put them out of the way of the cats when I'm not.

I bought a pair of $70 headphones from RS on sale for $40 a year or so
before I bought the Sony's.  The plastic material that contacts the skin and
covers the foam wore away in quick order.  The yoke at the left headphone
broke just where the yoke and the adjustable slider entered the headband.  A
number of attempts with epoxy and pieces of plastic failed to save the
headphones.  RS's response was to offer me a replacement pair for another
$40.  (I'm generally pretty careful about my 'stuff'. I've still got a pair
of Sansui headphones I bought in 1970.)

A week after I gave up on the RS headphones, I found the Sony's for sale at
the local drug store (Walgreens) in the portable audio/stereo/camera
section.  The first pair was so cool, I went back and bought a second to use
as a backup.  It's still in the box and in the closet.

Omni VI #1 in the left ear, Omni VI #2 in the right ear!
dah-di-dah-di dah-dah-di-dah   dah dit di-di-dit dah

73,
dale, kg5u

Join the Second Class Operator's Club's 2nd Marathon Sprint Contest,
September 8.
Details at http://soc-hams.homepage.com/contests.htm#top