[TenTec] Scout 555

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout 555
From: wb2vuf@qsl.net (Bwana Bob)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 12:21:45 -0400
The Scout receivers do hiss a bit. I think that this is because T-T
does not roll off the audio response as much as other manufacturers do
to mask synthesizer noise. Also, the Scout speaker has a a pretty wide
frequency response so that it can deliver "crisp" audio. Wide band
stereo headphones also will hear these high frequencies. I found an
external speaker that works quite well with the Scout. It is a
surplus Motorola mobile speaker that is sold by Hosfelt Electronics.
This speaker attenuates the hiss but doesn't have that muddy sound or
resonances that some speakers have. It works great on CW.

                        73 Bob WB2VUF