[TenTec] Problems? Corasir II, back from TT Service

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Problems? Corasir II, back from TT Service
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 13:01:45 -1000
Hi all,

My Corsair II,  Mod. 561,  just arrived back from Ten
Tec Service on Friday morning.

Note previous post about all the fixes performed.

Now have  two problems which worry me.

1.  Power out at initial turn on is very low,  14 watts.
In fact,  the manual procedure:  set ALC full CW,
place mode to LOCK,  then advance Drive to
reach desired output power until the ALC LED
just lights.  Well,  nothing happens when I do
this.  Go to CW,  same thing,  that is, no more
than 14 watts out,  and of course,  no ALC light.
Go to SB-N,  same thing no more than 14 out.
Then turn on the Processor,  now sometimes
all of a sudden,  80 watts comes out on SSB
peaks,  and the ALC light illuminates. Once this
occurs,  even with a band QSY or mode change
to CW, the 80 watts and ALC light perform.

Other times,  even turning on the Processor will
not "tickle"  whatever needs a tweak to output
"full" power.  But what will work at this time,
is to switch the mode to SB-R;  bingo,  often
the power out jumps from the 14 to 80 watts
when using the PTT again on the 705 and talking.

Does anyone else have to go to the dummy load,
enter the SSB mode,  fiddle with the Processor
to get out the power,  then go back to CW and
your antenna???

2.  Did some comparative rcv checks among my
Omni VI,  my older Triton 544, and the Corsair II.
That is when I discovered that there were multiple
10 meter band positions on the band switch, hi.
The Corsair sensitivity is well down if one is
listening around 28490 to 500 or above,  and the
band switch is still set to the 28.0 position
instead of the 28.5 position.  That seemed to
recover the rcv sensitivity of the Corsair,  but
did not recover an S meter reading?

That is,  moderate signal levels rcvd on the Omni
or Triton might read in the  S6 to 7 area on the Omni,
while the little Triton might read S87 or 9 on the same
signal,  the Corsair S meter refused to move off the
left peg!  Tuning to much stronger signals,  S9+
on both Omni and Triton,  still no S meter life on
the Corsair.  I wondered if the AGC was even
operating,  so flipped the AGC switch down to
off -- bam,  huge jump in audio out,  so the AGC
is there and operating,  but no meter indication of
an AGC voltage.  Of course,  lack of an S meter is
not really a big deal,  hi.

Anyway,  I plan to call Paul Clinton,  Service Mngr.  at
TT on Tuesday.  He signed the check out sheet of
my Corsair II;  however, the test sheet is dated
8-22-00, and is initialed,  RH.  So,  perhaps Paul
did not do the actual list of tests shown as having
been performed.

Hope he can suggest something for me to do output
the power output problem;  maybe something as
simple as how I got rcv sensitivity back in the SSB
DX area on 10 meters,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M