[TenTec] A pegasus with no tail

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] A pegasus with no tail
From: N4LQ@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 21:33:03 -0400
Hey that's nothin! In 1990, I visited a ham store to try out and purchase a
new Paragon. They opened the box, hooked it up for the demo and the
transmitter power output was a big fat zero. No I wasn't too impressed
either. So I has them hook up a new TS-940sat Kenwood which worked
perfectly.
Thinking the worst of TenTec, I enjoyed the 940 for a whole 2 days until the
finals burst into flames and I mean FLAMES!!! The dealer was nice enough to
give me a loaner 940 while mine went back to Kenwood for repair.
When I got it back I noticed how quite it was compared to their loaner.
Hmmm...I opened up the case and found the cooling fan for the final was
jammed against a screw head. This is what had caused the problem to begin
with!
Yes ham gear is overall more prone to failure than other electronic
equipment and we just have to expect it. TenTec will eventually make your
rig good, maybe. Just hope they are able to find a definite problem and be
done with it.
Oh....I also had a new IC-706 that failed within 1 month. I shipped it FedX
to Icom and had it back in 10 days....Not bad!
Steve
N4LQ