[TenTec] Corsair and INRAD

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair and INRAD
From: csturner@falcon.csc.calpoly.edu (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:44:29 -0700 (PDT)
Just a quick note, I talked to George up at INRAD, he had incorrect
information about the Corsairs and didn't list the 9 MHz filters as
available for them.  Of course, the Corsair I provides a slot for the main
9 MHz filter (had the 4 pole filter standard) where you can stick a 10
pole 2.4 or an 8 pole 2.8 INRAD filter right out of the box.  For the
Corsair II, you need to pull the little board with the main 9 MHz filter
(the model 220) and solder in an INRAD filter that fits right into the
board holes.  I have a 2.8 that I put into my Corsair II and am very happy
with it.

In addition, I spoke with George about cascading a second filter in that
first IF for the Corsairs.  He has a generic filter switchboard that would
allow, say, a CW filter at the 9 MHz 1st IF ahead of the bank of filters
in the 2nd IF at 6.3 MHz.  On occasion, a second CW filter would seem to
be called for in my Corsair II (it would be similar to the NAR position
on the OMNI V and VI).  I am going to try it out here and see how it
works for me.  It would involve mounting a small board and filter
somewhere in there (plenty of room), some soldering of switch wires to a
switch somewhere (or wiring to the mode switch, or to the regular CW
filter switch to switch in a pair of CW filters instead of one....)  It
could be a Ten Tec ladder filter or an INRAD lattice filter, of course.

This brings up a question about some old Argosy mod I saw in a 1989 QRP
Quarterly... something about a filter in the BFO line that reduces overall
noise in there.  This mod was suggested for the Corsair, too, and was
based on the KVG 9 MHz filters as I recall. Anyone do this to their
Corsair?

Clark
WA3JPG