[TenTec] Op voltages, probably the battery, not the radio?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Op voltages, probably the battery, not the radio?
From: wa0roi@arrl.net (Chuck Brudtkuhl)
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:10:45 -0500
>My attempts to operate my Delta II on a 12V deep cycle
battery have
>produced reports of distorted audio, which could only be
eliminated by
>reducing the output to below 40 watts.  I have been advised
that the rig
>was probably FMing.  This radio is only happy when fed with
at least 13
>volts, and comes into it's own at the magic 13.8vdc level.

This thread may be dead, but I'm catching up on my reading.
I just want to raise the awareness that all batteries are
not created equally.  This scenario fits a historic scenario
of mine perfectly.

I tried running 100W sideband off a Telco battery string.  I
was using a total of four strands of #6 stranded copper for
the 15ft run .. plenty of capacity there for 100w.  I also
had slight FMing on SSB.  It turns out that the batteries
themselves, designed for steady current loads, responded to
the near-instantaneous transition from 1/2 amp to 20 amp
peak .. by dropping the voltage about 2 volts during that
transition period.  They'd take a steady state 20A load no
problem (which is what they're designed for) .. but the
transition period is what was causing the FMing .. and since
SSB is continuous transition periods ....  hence it may not
be the radio ... likely is NOT the radio.  You can test the
radio by running it on a REGULATED supply at low voltage.
May have been the battery.

I'm no battery expert, but I've never forgotten this real
life situation.  I always wanted to try it sometime with
some hefty caps across the line to help "fill" the
transition periods .. but never did.

73 de Chuck