[TenTec] Paragon 585 problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon 585 problem
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:11:33 -0700 (PDT)
Open up your Paragon and one by one remove the screqs
that hold the main circuit boards to the metal
chassis. Use a red pencil erasor and clean the copper
ground area where the screw heat and lock washer held
the board down. when it shiny again re-install the
screw and lock washer. Do this to every screw and
ground plane. You will eliminate a lot of the new
birdies but the old familiar ones will still be there.
Also you can rock the processor chip by lightly
lifting each end with a chip removal tool and rocking
it in the socket to break up any corrosion in the chip
socket. I usually do this to any chips that are in
sockets. Clean off the ground lug on the rear of the
radio with a brass brush and re-install your ground
wire. Make sure the power supply and the rig are on
the same ground connection. I have also wrapped a few
turns of the 115v power cord through a torroid core
and used beads on the 12 volt line to the radio to
eliminate some noise.  The Paragon and Omni VI have a
large circuit board area that will develop little
noise paths if the grounding of the whole board is not
equal. After a few years the screws develop oxides
between the dissimilar metals. Makes a nice diode for
demodulating noise and raising the resistance to
ground.
--- "Promedia Ltd." <promedia@itnet.com.pl> wrote:

> Hi to All,
>
> to many earlier mentioned problems another yet
> arrived.
> It's the synthesizer .
> At all freqs ending with ...91.94 and  ...41.94 kHz
> (CW mode),
> there's a bird living.
> It  just did a click at first, but it apparenty grew
> through the years
> and now it directs a big orchestra in preparation to
> something sounding
> like a Stravinsky's opera.
> Believe me, it's not funny though.
>
> I wonder if anybody had the same problem and found
> the cure.
> Help, please  !!!!!
> If it could only be a Per Gynt..
>
> Yours,
> Alec/SP2EWQ
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec
> Administrative requests:
> tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:
> owner-tentec@contesting.com

=====
Carl HYDE
W2CSH
Remember, the opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS