[TenTec] Gatlinburg blues ...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Gatlinburg blues ...
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John G3JAG)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:44:55 +0100
Sounds like I missed a real good Hamfest.  Maybe next year.

Now you know why I (an ignorant furriner) recommended folk to stay in
Sevierville ... Gatlinburg is too near the boonies even for us
non-Colonials. One visit I made the area was so crowded we were obliged
to stay in the middle of nowhere, near (I think) Knoxville. It was very
dark when we found the place and I still do not know exactly where it
was ...  (At that time of night, after hours on the road, who cared ??)

The real bad news is that TT discontinued the 9420 supply for the Herc
II. Does that mean the Herc II is also on the way out ?? Its not a lot
of use without a power supply and batteries seem to be a marginal way
of running it. 100 amp supplies are uncommon - the Luke ones seem to
have vanished. Maybe the answer is to buy four 25 amp regulated supplies
and carefully set them for identical voltage under serious load.
Steering diodes ought to take care of the potential (!) problems in
connecting the things in parallel.  Thats the route I planned when I
had problems with my 9420. I got four of the PC boards (from Far
Circuits) for the ARRL Handbook 30 amp RFI proof supply; I got four
identical surplus transformers and a bag full of surplus power
transistors and 30 amp potted bridge rectifiers. I also got  a few
humongous capacitors.

So far I got lucky - the 9420 (somewhat modifed) is doing fine.  But
I'm hanging onto the box of  bits just in case.  It will not be as
pretty as the 9420 and it will surely weigh much more. But it will be
in the best Tennessee tradition - it will have a wooden baseboard. That
old chopping board the XYL wanted me to dump may be useful after all.

73 John G3JAG

E-Mail: $m