[TenTec] Corsair II Conversions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II Conversions
From: dslosty@pipeline.com (dslosty)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 02:09:04 -0700
>Anyone else notice that the (Ten Tec) ads for the Corsair II said "triple
>conversion"??  Of course, it is not true, there are only two IF stages, it
>should be called "dual conversion" (unless you want to call the OMNI-D
>"double conversion, hi hi).  I often wondered how such a mistake got made,
>I think it was in the QST ads back when the rig was sold new.

>I love mine even though it is only dual connversion :-)

>Clark
>WA3JPG

I tend to agree with you but it all depends on how you define
a "conversion".  Some folks count number of I.F. frequency conversions,
others count the number of mixer stages.

True single conversion rigs like old Swan 350's have only one mixer
and change VFO frequencies on each band - that's why the multiscale
dials were used - and why drift was often a problem.
Recently, one such Swan owner did argue with me that rigs like the
Ten-Tec Omni-D were dual conversion since it used two mixers in
order to maintain the VFO at a constant 5 - 5.5MHz range.

Thus one could argue that the Corsair II, with its two I.F frequencies
and
three mixers was triple conversion.

It may well boil down to semantics and/or how far back your
memory/training
goes. Hey - I still believe in condensers!

73,
Doug/WA1TUT