[TenTec] Station setup other stuff

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Station setup other stuff
From: tacquire@earthlink.net (Dan)
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 11:08:20 -0800
You can drive yourself nuts with this stuff if you really want to..  Long time
ago
I played around with putting wattmeters and swr meters before and after the
tuner
and in all sorts of different combinations.  Results were that there were no
clear
results!  Wattmeter on one side of tuner would show something different than the
other side.  Likewise the reflected power would be different on both sides which
led me to my conclusion that was debated briefly on here previously as to
whether
a tuner really does anything at all.  To demonstrate to yourself just put an swr
meter AFTER the tuner and one before the tuner.  There may not be any swr on the
rig side meter before the tuner but it will probably all show up again on the
other side of the tuner.  Another way to tell is try and load something up that
just wasnt meant to be loaded.  In my old mfj versa tuner I could make a certain
antenna load up on a certain band to my transmitter, low swr to the rig and all
but the tuner would start arcing internally.  I think there's something to be
said
for fixing your antenna AT the antenna and not just fooling the rig and letting
your tuner take the abuse.