[TenTec] speaker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] speaker
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 07:43:52 -0500 (EST)
You won't hear much of anything above 3000hz with any speaker due to the
radios audio response. For cw there is one speaker everyone needs to try,
the MFJ 281 Clear Tone. For $10 you can't afford not to experiment. Also
consider getting 2 of them and wiring them in parallel. They require very
little power to drive and have a distinct resonance at 700hz making cw
stand out like a new penny. Stay away from modern day speakers with their
heavy magnets. They require too much power. The MFJ will do fine with ssb
and give you a very clear sound but totally lacking in low freq response
which seems to enhance understandability but isn't exactly hi-fi but then
neither is the radio! I like placing one ClearTone on each side of the
radio. Try to place them against a solid background such as a wall or
another radio and they really rock if you can find a corner for them. 73

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000 nw4p@martha.xtn.net wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>   Has anyone ever replaced the speaker in the 961 PS for a better one??
> (Open expansion chambers has taken it toll on my hearing!!)
> Or, what external speaker could one buy that would give
> good clarity especially in the 3800-4200 cycle range.
> Any input would be appreciated since it is getting harder
> and harder to hear all but good quality audio.
>        Thanks in advance,
>        Richard      NW4P
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec