[TenTec] Jupiter- How easy to operate?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter- How easy to operate?
From: w7trx@mindspring.com (W7TRX)
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:17:17 -0800
George,

I can't speak for others, only myself. I picked the 706 because it has all
the coverage I could want in one small package. Low profile shack, the wife
is happy. It has a very nice remote tuner that works well with my horizontal
loop. Press the button and tuned up.

As far as simplicity and intuitive use, I have a cognitive memory problem.
No fun, and I can adapt to it in many ways, but it is frustrating at times.
If I don't use the radio daily, most of the lesser used functions are
forgotten. I've sold  several Yaesu rigs for Icom rigs, because for me the
Icom radios were more intuitive to use. Example: on my Yeasu FT-10 HT there
is no "scan" button. I don't often use the 2m HT, but when I do, I cannot
remember the key sequence to scan. It is not intuitive whatsoever. This is
absurd as far as I'm concerned. It also has the squelch hidden in a menu
instead of an easily adjusted knob. Give me a break. I was suckered by the
sexy little radio and didn't do my homework. My new Icom IC22 has a "scan"
button. Press it and it scans. Turn the squelch knob to adjust the squelch.
I see this as a good thing. This is basic stuff that does not have to be
complicated. I can look at the radio and use much of it's features. I don't
think it is asking too much to have intuitive functions on equipment. I
think quite often the poor user interfaces on equipment in general is driven
by designers, engineers, and cost, rather than customer ease.

The best example of this in the recent past is the difference between DOS
and Windows. DOS required plenty of memorized commands and functions to
navigate. Sure you could learn all this, I did, but when you could have
windows, why would you want to? Some even take great pleasure in writing
their own computer code. I'm not interested in that. The computer is a tool
that assists me to accomplish a task. That's it. I have work to do, not a
computer to master.

There will always be those techno geeks the love the complexity of some
device. The mastery of the device. The challenge. I bear them no ill will.
I'm sure you have equally good reasons for enjoying all the complexity and
options a radio can offer. I however prefer to enjoy my time operating. I
have no interest in being chained to an operations manual to make basic
changes to a radios function. The unnecessary complexity of some radios
hinders my enjoyment of the hobby. Even without my cognitive problem, there
is a legitimate niche for simple, intuitive operating radios. What you ask
for in a radio is different than my needs. We all have different goals and
interests in this hobby. Mine no less legitimate than yours.

George, I hope you enjoy your complicated radios, with bells and whistles
galore, but I'll keep looking.

73, Tracy
W7TRX