[TenTec] CW Note on Jupiter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW Note on Jupiter
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:59:03 -0500
I just had a nice cw qso with W8KEB on 80m. The keying on the Jupiter is
very nice. No clicks or dit chopping like the JA rigs however it sounds
exactly like the Pegasus. It has a slightly rough sounding carrier. If you
are picky about how you sound on cw then you need to give it a listen. Ken
had a nice 15db over S9 signal with some QSB. The rough note is more obvious
during deep fades.

This is exactly why I sent my Pegasus back to the factory. Their engineers
worked with it for some time before concluding that all Pegasus's have the
same characteristic and apparently this has carried over to the Jupiter.
I would have not noticed this problem were it not for some honest reports
from seveal other OT CW OPs who gave me reports of "fuzzy carrier". Perhaps
the Fuzzy Carrier Commission should look into setting new standards.

I suggested to Ken that he listen to his own carrier on another rig.
Sometimes this can be deceiving however due to ground loops and overload.
Employing the aid of a nearby ham is a better method. Trading stations and
listening to your own rig on his is more telling.

I must admit my disappointment. I will stick with the Omni C until something
better comes along..

Steve N4LQ