[TenTec] BATTERY POWER

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] BATTERY POWER
From: WA2PVK@prodigy.net (WILLIAM F MANSEY)
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:47:58 -0500
Hello all,
    I am not sure if this will help but I have had good results using two 12
volt gel cells in series.  I then attached a "conventional " (723 and pass
transistors) to that.  The voltage could be adjusted over a good range and
it took quite a while for the batteries to run down to a point where the
regulator began to have a "problem.
    I will admit that I do know anything about the current drain of the
scout so this method may be a bit cumbersome if high current batteries are
needed.
    I use the "arrangement" as a back-up power source during bad weather.
It is a very effective source of power in emergencies or for portable use.
I have built in a battery charger for increased convenience.
    73's and Happy Holidays to all!  BILL