[TenTec] Poor CW note on Pegasus and Jupiter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Poor CW note on Pegasus and Jupiter
From: n4py@earthlink.net (Carl Moreschi)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 23:47:05 -0000
I have heard many times on this reflector comments about the CW note on the
Pegasus
and now the Jupiter being below par.  My experience in using the my Pegasus
for over a year
is originally I had a raspy CW note on transmit and all received CW signals
were raspy
sounding.  What I found was both the 12 volt power supply and computer
monitor must
be located at least a few feet away.  The 60 hertz power transformers in a
power supply and
computer monitor generate magnetic lines of flux that if close enough to the
pegasus
or jupiter can cut through the oscillators and cause a poor note on both
transmit and
receive.

Once I moved my power supply away from my Pegasus, all is well.  My son,
N4YDU,
lives about 7 miles from me.  He has confimed through direct listening to my
CW signal
(and showing a 20db over 9 signal) that my CW note sounds perfect.

I would conclude that anyone that has received reports of a bad CW note on
their
Pegasus and Jupiter should make sure that any equipment that has a 60 hertz
transformer in it, should be located at least a few feet away form the rig.

Carl Moreschi  N4PY
Franklinton, North Carolina
n4py@earthlink.net