[TenTec] Scout and Clear Speech speaker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Scout and Clear Speech speaker
From: MNEWELL1@austin.rr.com (Michael Newell)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:35:39 -0600
I've been using a ClearSpeech speaker on my mobile Scout since
this past May.  Any time I've operated the Scout in the house, or
in the vehicle with the motor off, I haven't noticed any real noise.
I always thought the Scout had a pretty quiet receiver. In my vehicle
all the noise seems to be generated by the truck itself, and the
occaisonal noisy power line.

Of course the proper thing to do would be  to track down and
squash these truck-generated noises at the source, but failing
that, the ClearSpeech speaker does an excellent job.

The speaker has allowed me to hear stations and make QSO's
that I otherwise could not have made. With the engine running,
the noise level runs between S3 and S7. The speaker
knocks all of this down and brings those noise-ridden signals
up so I can actually hear them.

I do hear the "waterfall" or "water running" noise in the background
that seems to be a side effect of some DSP NR systems, but it isn't
really bothersome to me. Also, the on/off switch doesn't completely
remove the power from the speaker. I think the documentation
says that the speaker draws about 300ma when on, and about 30ma
when the power switch is in the off position. I haven't done it yet,
but at some point I'll probably add an outboard power switch in line
with the power lead to completely remove power from the speaker.

I'm very glad I installed one of these speakers in my mobile
station. I need to update the photos to show the NR speaker,
but you can visit http://wb4huc.home.texas.net/ and click the mobile
station link to see what I have.

--
Mike Newell - WB4HUC