[TenTec] How to attach fan to Ten-Tec headsink?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] How to attach fan to Ten-Tec headsink?
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:41:35 -0600

> Does anyone have a suggestion about how to attach a fan to the
> heatsink on
> the back of a Ten-Tec HF transceiver?
>
> I have a nifty $6 12VDC PC fan that even comes with a temp sensor
> - but of course
> it sits at a RT angle to the fins on the heatsink. I don't want
> to drill holes
> in the heatsink to put in "L" shaped bolts. I tried the XYL
> hot-glue and it
> loosened after a few days.  Have you thought of some other nifty way to
> attach a fan without damaging the heatsink?

Why must you attach it to the radio, Ken?

What transceiver are you using?

My fans are mounted over a cutout in the shelf above my Omni VI's.  They
work just fine to keep air circulating behind the radios.  And they provide
a refreshing but not eye-drying air flow for the operator.

Bear in mind, that if the radio is in the open (not pushed into a corner,
crowded on the sides by other equipment, and/or covered above it, that the
heatsink is likely doing it's job like it was designed to do.  I'm sure if
Ten-Tec felt a fan was needed with it, they would have either (1) provided
one, or (2) provided a mounting location for one they would sell separately
(witness the fan that was available for the Delta II for use when it's
mobile).

73,
dale, kg5u