[TenTec] PSK31

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PSK31
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 16:35:52 -0800
I just started running PSK31 with my Omni VI+.  The software is the
G3PLX V1.08.

I use a SoundBlaster card in the PC, an old ACER 486DX66.  Nothing
special.

>From the line out on the SoundBlaster card (1/8" mini phone plug) to the
RCA line in on the Omni.
>From the line in on the SoundBlaster card (1/8" mini phone plug to the
RCA line out on the Omni.

The above is a pair of Radio Shack shielded cables, 12' in length.

On the PC go to the Creative Mixer software.  Adjust the line out level
control for mid position, and ajust the line in level control for mid
position.

On the Omni run the gain GN on the VOX to max which is 15.  Turn the mic
level counter clockwise.  Activate the transmit function on the software
or TUNE depending on which software you are running.  With VOX
activated, advance the line out control on the Creative Mixer software
until the VOX pulls in.  STOP at this point.  Then advance the mic gain
on the Omni until the output is about 75 watts.  ALC light should just
begin to flicker.  Return the software to receive, the VOX and the Omni
should revert to receive.  Adjsut the Line In contol on the Creative
Mixer software until the display on the software scope begins to
tickle.  Some fine adjustment during receiving a PSK signal may be
required.  During a QSO the Omni output should idle about 45 watts and
peak to about 55 to 56 watts during data.

I found this to be the easies way to set the levels.  IMD reports are
always in the 28 to 35 dB range.

If you need any other details, send me an e-mail.

73
Bob K4TAX