[TenTec] Omni VI RCVR Died-HELP

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI RCVR Died-HELP
From: k2qo@hotmail.com (Mark Adams, P.E.)
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 20:23:46 -0500
Hi Gang,

My used Omni 6 has been wonderful for the past few months, but during the
RAC contest the receiver just quit on me.

Here are the specifics:

* I bought the rig used with a 960 PS. Rig is upgraded to level 3.

* It ran FB for a long while.

* One day the SWR and FWD power positions did not work. Don't know why. The
S-meter still worked. Funny thing is, the meter in my MFJ 941E also quit.
ESD? Lightning? Everything else worked FB. A month passed.

* Then it started to shut down whenever I turned the power up past 20W or
so. I would hit the switch for the heil mike or hit the key and click- the
rig would be off. It would reset no trouble. Being an avid QRPer this was
never a REAL problem. But one that I did want to fix.

* I run resonant and tuned antennas. The load presented to the rig is always
2:1 or better, usually much better.

* I tried running the rig off a battery to see if the PS is bad and it seems
that I can run 90-100W OK. But I discovered this AFTER the RX died so I
cannot fully test it out.

* I tried a Master reset and that did not good.

* I hooked up an antenna to pin 17 on the BPF/Front End Mixer board. The
receiver is still producing white noise.

So now, everything seems to work except the radio does not receive. Just
noise comes out of the speaker. It XMIT's OK. All controls function. I tried
the instructions in the manual on troubleshoooting the rx section, and it
all checks out.

Any suggestions??

Thanks, 73 and Happy New Year,
Mark K2QO (now using my Wilderness Sierra!)