[TenTec] More CW-Only Rig

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] More CW-Only Rig
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:01:33 -0600
> A fair number of the responses I got to my first posting were centered on
> telling me why a new CW-only rig couldn't be built. And a few
> were even busy
> telling me that SOMEONE ELSE was building such a rig. How about,
> instead of
> discussing why a certian rig COULDN'T be built, let's talk about
> why such a
> rig SHOULD be built.
>
> As I pointed out, CW is being de-emphasized. A rig built from the
> bottom up
> as a CW-only rig, and completely optimized to make it absolutely
> the best CW
> rig available, would certain help to generate more interest in the mode,
> extending the life of the mode. And, if CW has to die (as some say), this
> may be our last hurrah for the mode.

I'm not inclined to agree.  I think the generated interest in the mode would
be pretty slight. Too slight for most manufacturers to give a CW optimized
radio as you would like to see more than a second glance. I believe most
non-CW operators are not CW operators for reasons other than the CW
capabilities of the radios currently on the market.

What do you want from your CW optimized radio?  What will it take to
optimize a current radio (for example: Omni VI+) to what you want it to do?

What percentage of the ham population now not operating CW will then buy
such a radio and begin operating CW?

What features or functions are on the current radios that keeps the non-CW
operating portion of the ham population from being attracted to CW?

73,
dale, kg5u