[TenTec] Administrivia

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Administrivia
From: jmlowman@ix.netcom.com (Jim Lowman)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 21:13:21 -0500
First of all, Happy New Year to everyone on the list, and thanks for
another year's worth of constructive material from all who contribute.
This list is quite a good resource for the Ten-Tec community.

There have been a couple of changes, so some explanation is in order.

First:  I've been receiving a number of questions along the line of,
"I'm receiving messages from the list, but am unable to post a message."

Usually the cause is that your e-mail program is sending HTML or
some sort of stylized text.  It is fairly conventional among mailing
lists that messages composed in other than plain text will be bounced to
the listowner.  Those of you who are new to mailing lists may not even
realize that this is happening to you, as many e-mail programs now
default to sending HTML.  I'm told that AOL users who are using the new
version 6.0 of the AOL software may not even be able to disable HTML.  I'd
appreciate a confirmation on that.

Second:  Security - Due to the increasing volume of spam (you don't see it
on the list; it bounces to me) I have disabled the functions that divulge
any information about the tentec and tentec-digest lists, such as WHO and
WHICH.

Third:  Subscription policy - In order to keep this list free of a small
number of objectionable individuals, subscribing or resubscribing to the
list or digest requires manual approval.  This is one of the best lists
that I read, and it's going to stay that way.  Sorry but, as usual, a few
bad apples make it more difficult for the fine hams on here.

If you are changing ISPs, please contact me directly and I will help to
make the transition seamless.

Some of you are rejoining the list after an absence, and after the change
in subscription policy.  Please give me adequate time to act on your
subscription request before sending any follow-up messages.

Important!  Always include your callsign in any communication with me.
Due to problems with some domains, or some really frivolous-sounding
e-mail addresses, many subscription requests have gone in the trash with
no action taken.  This is in the interest of keeping the list free of
spammers.  Non-hams or prospective hams are certainly welcome on the list,
but they will have to justify their position.

Finally:  Mail bounces - occasionally messages bounce to me because the
recipient's mailbox is full, or because the recipient's mailbox is
unreachable for more than four hours.  Due to the ever-increasing
number of mail bounces, primarily due to spammers, I have been unsubscribing
the member.  You are free to resubscribe when you have corrected the problem.

Unfortunately, the solution to these problems lies with you, the member of
the list.  They involve either negotiating (or paying) for a larger mailbox
size, or finding a better or more-reliable ISP.

Again, thanks for all of the information and assistance that passes through
this list, and for the professional and gentlemanly behavior that is
constantly observed.

73 de Jim - AD6CW
Ten-Tec List Administrator