[TenTec] TT lineage

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT lineage
From: dslosty@pipeline.com (dslosty)
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 03:57:23 -0800
Kevin/K9IUA,

There are a few errors in your listings.

The Triton IV series (models 540/544) were introduced
in 1976 or 1977. I bought a used Triton IV (540) in 1977
and kept it until 1998. I think it was serial #1644, so it
was not an early production unit.

The Century 21 was after the Triton II.

The Omni A and D were introduced in late 1979 with
some sales/production overlap with the 540 series
before the 540 series ended.

The Omni-D, ver B was probably produced only in 1980.
In order to be competitive, Ten-Tec soon discontinued it
and rushed the "C" version into production to add the
WARC bands.

The Omni C, the last in that series was produced in late
1980 thru 1981, with perhaps some sales, but probably no
production in 1982.

Some owners may have been confused about dates.
Back when Ten-Tec had independant dealers, shelf stock
may well have been sold a year or more after the model was
actually discontinued.

I've dated all of my rigs by examining semiconductor date
codes. Typically Ten-Tec used such semiconductors within
3 to 6 months of their manufacturing code.

The Corsair II was produced from 1987 to early 1990 with some
new sales as late as early 1991.

BTW, have you or anyone else asked Ten-Tec for production
records? Seems to me that they must have kept track of both
dates and quantities produced.

Other ham gear groups such as the Collins Collectors Association
and the Swan Owner's group have gotten fairly specific company
records that show dates and quantitites.

Thanks for your efforts.

73,
Doug/WA1TUT