[TenTec] CW tuning

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CW tuning
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 10:58:09 -1000
My question concerns tuning a CW signal to an SSB
QSO.......

Here in Hawaii,  we have had going since 1974 the
Hawaii Afternoon Net,  an SSB "chat" session held
on 7088 kHz (out here SSB is permitted 7075 to 7100)
at 0200 UTC daily.

Frequently,  CW stations in California or elsewhere
come on frequency to "check in",  give signal reports,
or ask someone on the net to QSY.  I have reached up,
hit my CW key to leave the Lower SSB mode,  and
no one can hear my signal!  Obviously my CW signal
is now on some other frequency than the net frequency,
and neither the SSB guys on 7088 or the N6 station hears
my tone.  What is going on now?

So,  what is the proper frequency to tune your CW xmit
to when you want to alert folks on a lower or upper SSB
frequency;  and what is the proper frequency for someone
on the SSB frequency and mode to tune when wishing to
respond in CW mode to the CW station calling?

Must not be that complicated,  hi.  But is a bit frustrating.
My Omni VI does not show a shift in frequency between
the two modes;  however,  my FT-1000 does.  Presume with
the 1000,  on CW just tune to the SSB frequency again to
reply to the calling CW station on frequency?

73,  Jim,  KH7M