[TenTec] Century 22

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Century 22
From: k9iua@juno.com (Kevin Anderson)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 11:01:23 -0500 (EST)
Paul asked:

> Was the Century 22 a "single-signal" receiver design.
> I recall that the
> Century 21 with its direct conversion receiver would
> hear the signal on
> *both* sides of zero-beat.  How about the Century 22?
>
> -Paul, W9AC

Paul,

The Century 22 is *also* a direct conversion rig like
the Century 21.  I don't know the specs on the C21, but
the C22 has a VFO tuning 6.5 down to 6.0 mHz, which is
mixed with xtals for each band.  The C22 includes 30 m,
which makes it desirable also.  The C22 includes an audio
filter which can get very tight, although I find the
skirts still broad until the very end.  I've used the
C22 in contests, although it obviously gets overwhelmed
easily from the dual signals for everything.  I have
mine adjusted to have zero offset on the receive be
exactly zero beat to the xmit signal -- the advantage
there is that I adjust the offset to either side needed
to hear the other party with the least QRM, whilst
knowing exactly where my xmit signal is.

(My opinion only, but I think all CW amateurs should
spend at least some of their early operator time on a
direct conversion rig such as the C22 in my set up --
it teaches you well what receive offsets are and
how to zero beat <grin>.)

More of an answer than you expected, eh?

Cheers/73.   Kevin, K9IUA
 K9IUA@juno.com, Bismarck/Lincoln, North Dakota