[TenTec] More Pegasus Sensitivity

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] More Pegasus Sensitivity
From: hjohnc@core.com (hjohnc@core.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:17:25 -0600 (CST)
Well ?

The good news is that the suggestion to raise the IF gain identified
the problem.  The bad news is that I still have a problem.

I checked the radio cold to see if changing the IF pot helped and to
be sure I turned it in the right direction.  Cold start on 10 meters
the noise was S5 to S6.  Not bad.  I cranked up the IF pot and the
noise was up to S8 to S9+10db.  Great!

For a while.

I then heard 3G0Y and thought what the heck.  Gave him a quick call on
CW.  When the receiver came back the noise was S4.  If I wiggled the
plug for the key (which wiggled the PC board that the key jack is
mounted on) the noise came back up.  Obviously, something is loose.
Wiggling was less effective in restoring the noise level the warmer
the rig got.

Called Ten Tec and they guessed it was a loose surface mount
component.  Send it in.

Any suggestions before I box it up?  I?d prefer to fix it and save the
time and money, but don?t want to make a mess of it.

Again, thanks de K8HJ
John

P.S.  Didn?t get 3G0Y on 10.