[TenTec] Jupiter Suggestions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter Suggestions
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:58:51 -0400
I don't know for sure about the Jupiter but it it's like the Pegasus, the
speaker leads have +5 volts dc on them and neither lead is grounded. I would
love to know what the thinking was behind that design.
Possibly since the Jupiter has a speaker jack, unlike the Pegasus, isolation
capacitors may have been installed thus eliminating the dc voltage problem
but still presenting unusual problems with ground isolation.

As for speaker types. I prefer speakers that take a very small amount of
drive. Few are made these days. Old communication speakers had very small
magnets and just a few milliwatts would drive them. Modern speakers strive
for heavy bass response and usually have large magnets.

Look at hamfest for old Heathkit spreakers such as the HS-1661, my favorite.
Big 12" Hallicrafter, National and Hammarlund speakers always sound nice
too. For cw get an MFJ 281 ClearTone for $12.
Steve Ellington
N4LQ