[TenTec] Power Supply problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Power Supply problem
From: KF6ZZ@aol.com (KF6ZZ@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:12:22 EDT

> H i,
>  MY 962 power supply for my Omni VI+ bit the dust tonight.
>  Death was preceded by a hum in the supply at key down and fuse(s) blew
while
> keying.
>  Can someone venture a guess as to what happened and also where the
internal
> 25 amp fuse is located.
>  SWR was OK 1.1:1 and collector current about 20 amps, no smoke or smell.
> Vince Santis, N1VS
>  Winsted, CT

Disconnect the Omni.
Take the cover off the 962.
Find the transformer.
Verify  120 vac at transfomer primary
verify 18~ 20 vac rms at secondary
verify   ~ 20 vdc at the huge electrolytic.
The fuse should be right after the 47000uf  'lectrolytic.
The fuse may have blown due to the SCR crowbar firing.
The crowbar may have fired due to overvoltage on the output,
which may have been induced by the linear regulator failing anywhere from the
control circuit to the output transistors.

It's really difficult to troubleshoot in more detail than this
 without more test data.
              This should get you started.

Try restarting the 962 into 2 to 3 amps of resistive load.
Keep us all posted.
Good Luck.

         -KF6ZZ