[TenTec] Samlex PS

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Samlex PS
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
Universal Radio has a very good price on the 23 AMP version for $89.00
I bought an Astron switching power supply about four years ago when I got my
Omni V. I have looked at it with a scope and under a heavy load, such as key
down it has a slight amount of switching noise above the HF range at about 150
Khz. I set up a scanner at those frequencies and with the squelch off I could
hear a slight amount of noise out to about a 20 foot distance. So if the police
ever come to my house and get within 20 feet of the power supply under full
load they might hear it. Other than that its a nice power supply. However I
think Samlex has the state of the art in switching supplies. CQ did a nice
article a few months ago when they reviewed the Jupiter and gave it high marks.
If I were buying a power supply today I would get the Samlex. With a switching
supply you get a light weight which means you can safely stack more Ten Tec
radios on your bench!

--- Fonte <fonte@csinet.net> wrote:

> Hi Mark!
>
> I use a Samlex SEC1223 to juice my OmniVI+.
>
> ** Little or no heat.
> ** No switching noise that I can discern
> ** very pleased with its service.
> ** signal purity is not affected
>
> I believe that you will be pleased with the service from a Samlex supply
> (or a gang of them for that matter).
>
> You should use caution, though, to not use these switching supplies to
> 'float' backup batteries.  If you employ battery backup, I would suggest
> that you use the conventional style of supply as your "charger"/supply.
>
> 73!
> Jim, K9FI
>

> Mark Erbaugh wrote:
> >
> > I just got a Radio Shack commercial catalog. They have a Samlex 12V power
> > supply on sale for $200. It is rated at 40A, but you can add up to 3
> > additional 20A plug in modules for $50 each. So for $350, you can have a
> > 100A power supply. This seems like a pretty good price. Though not
> > specified, I suspect that it is a switcher. Any comments on how suitable
> > this might be for a transceiver and solid state amp?
> >
> > 73,
> > Mark, N8ME
> >
> > --
> > FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec
> > Submissions:              tentec@contesting.com
> > Administrative requests:  tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
> > Problems:                 owner-tentec@contesting.com
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/tentec

=====
Carl H.
Remember, the opposite of PROGRESS is CONGRESS