[TenTec] Source for Gel Cell chargers & batteryconditioners

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Source for Gel Cell chargers & batteryconditioners
From: SEWATKINS@dgs.state.va.us (Sherrill WATKINS)
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 13:29:29 -0400
Carl:  I have had nothing but bad luck using gel-cell batteries.  Many years
ago the volunteer fire department that I was a member of at the time purchased
about 50 Plectron brand low band monitor radios for their members.  The radios
had gel-cell batteries installed at the factory with internal chargers.  Within
about six or seven months all the gel-cell batteries had failed!  So we
purchased new gel-cell to replace the originals and they failed in about the
same time!  After that, we just gave-up on trying to use the gel-cells as
back-up power for the radios. About five years later, I purchased one gel-cell
battery and installed it in my monitor radio, hoping that the problem had been
corrected, but alas, it failed in about six months.  Ever since that
experience, I refuse to have anything to do with anythng that has a gel-cell
battery.  However, I have noticed that gel-cells are now being advertised and
sold as trolling motor batteries for bass boats.  I have not heard anything pro
or con about their use in this manner.  - 73's- Corn -k4own.