[TenTec] Keyer paddle connections

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Keyer paddle connections
From: wb5jnc@juno.com (wb5jnc@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 22:06:48 EDT
Greetings,

Pardon my ignorance here but having been strictly a straight key type up
to this point I am now venturing into the world of keyers. I have
obtained a Nye dual lever paddle and an old MFJ 410 keyer and as I have
no documentation on either item need some assistance on the connections.
Specifically, what I would like to do is build a cable for the Nye with
an eye toward future compatibility with the Scout and other newer rigs
(which I understand use an 1/8" stereo phone jack for the keyer) as well
as maintaining compatibility with older units which use the 1/4" jack. Is
there a standard for paddle wiring -- i.e., is the pinout the same on the
1/8" connector as the 1/4" so that an off-the-shelf adapter can be used,
or is a custom adapter cable required?

>From what I can tell the current cable on the Nye for use with the MFJ
is wired left paddle/dit to the ring of the 1/4" phone plug and the right
paddle/dah is wired to the plug tip. I'm thinking/hoping I can just
replace the 1/4" plug with an 1/8" one wired the same and use a standard
adapter for times when I need the 1/4" type but I'd like to find out for
sure.

TNX/73, Al

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.