[TenTec] DSP Engine in New Rig?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DSP Engine in New Rig?
From: RMcGraw@InfoAve.Net (Bob & Linda McGraw K4TAX)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 22:01:57 -0700
The discussion regarding the performance of DSP, either IF or AF,
reminds me of the discussions that surrounded the introduction of
digital audio vs. analog audio years ago.  Even today with higher bit
resolution, faster sampling rates, digital audio doesn't sound like
analog audio.  While digital is in the forefront and sounds quite good,
until one really hears good analog audio today they do not realize that
digital is a compromise.

Regarding filters, especially DSP ones, they do a great job as filters
but the artifacts generated do have characteristics that we do not find
desireable in certain cases.

As I commented to one suscriber, a guitar amp, Fender brand pre CBS,
sounds much better than a guitar amp, Fender brand post CBS.
Technically the post CBS model is better; however, the technically
inferior pre CBS amp sounds better.  The post CBS model is very clean
and very quiet...... but is un-musical.

Same true today with DSP regardless if in a $1200 radio or a $250,000
recording studio console.  Admittedly, there's things that can be done
with DSP today that couldn't be done in the analog signal chain.
But.....there's tradeoffs and we must learn to live with them.

I believe that Tentec will use the current DSP methodology to the
fullest to produce the best value for the buck.  It won't satisfy all
folks, their needs and their operating desires and methods.  However,
rest assured it will be one darn great radio.

Just another viewpoint.

73
Bob K4TAX