[TenTec] Powering an Omni-6+ from a 9420?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Powering an Omni-6+ from a 9420?
From: wd3q@erols.com (Eric Rosenberg)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:46:26 -0700

It was my understanding that I could power my Herc 2 and Omni-6+
from the 9420 power supply.  The unit I have is used -- the manual
doesn't mention the Omni-6 or 6+ (it refers to the Corsair).

When I hooked up the Omni-6+ to the 9420, the power supply hummed
and the Omni wouldn't power on.

I called TT service and got two different answers from two techs:

1.  Connect the rig first and then plug in the power supply (as
it says in themanual) and it should work.  No difference.

2.  It won't work, because the logic board on the older Omni
6's draw too much current. Mine is an SMT version Omni (~2 years
old?), but hte tech wasn't able to give me any specific production
dates or serial numbers.  He did say that the newer versions
have a crystal oven on the logic board and as a result don't
a) draw as much current and b) can be powered from the 9420.
 He added that TT can modify (upgrade?) my logic board for $100.

In the end, he did not recommemend I power the Omni-6+ from the
9420.

I then called TT Sales and spoke to Stan, who agreed that I shouldn't
use the 9420 to power the Omni-6+.  His reason is that the Omni-6
series rigs drew more current (20A) than the older rigs (18A)
and 9420's shared circuitry couldn't handle it. Funny, that,
as a couple of months before he sold me a cable  to connect the
two devices!

In the end, I'm disappointed, as I wanted to use the 9420 to
power both the Herc 2 and the Omni.

Has anyone out in TT reflector-land had a similar experience?

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC