[TenTec] Audio filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Audio filters
From: N4NT@chartertn.net (Mike Hyder)
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:37:15 -0400
Hi Ken, et al

The Ten-Tec audio filter for the Argosy is the same as that from Embedded
Research.  The only problem I had with either of those filters was because
the Argosy had two circuit configurations which differed as follows:

1.  In my Argosy the AGC sampling point was after the audio filter.  In this
case the filter would reduce or remove audio signals outside its passband
and would keep them from pumping up the AGC.

2.  In my Argosy II the AGC sampling point was before the audio filter.  In
this case the filter would still reduce or remove audio signals outside its
passband but would not keep them from pumping up the AGC.

>From looking at the schematic and the radio, it looks like the change
permitted them to simplify the wiring to the filter switches on the front
panel and thus save money in fabrication.  For whatever reason they made the
change, it is really too bad because they sorta messed up a good thing.

But the problem is not with the filter, itself.  The problem is with where
the AGC sampling is done.  If one of you technical gurus can tell me how to
modify my Argosy II so that the AGC sampling is done AFTER the audio filter,
I'd sure appreciate it.

73, Mike N4NT@chartertn.net