[TenTec] Pegasus Tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Tuner
From: Kenneth A. Crips" <w7itc@qwest.net (Kenneth A. Crips)
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:36:23 -0600
RE: My Pegasus Tuner has lost the ability to tune my Carolina Windom 160

You have just illustrated one of the reasons why I really don't care for the
auto tuners on
HF rigs.  They just are not as robust as an outboard heavy duty manual
tuner, they really
can't be as they must fit inside the case with the rest of the radio.  I
like the
Ten-Tec 238A and it's earlier version, except it is a little pricey.  The
two
top MFJ tuners, the MFJ 986 Differential T, and the MFJ 989C are very good.
If you can afford it the Nye Viking tuners are the best I have ever used,
they will
just about match a coat hanger in 160.  In the used department I really
like the old Dentron Super Tuners, and the Murch tuners are great
The Carolina Windom is a great antenna and it is not a hard one to match
up. Any way that is My 1 pennys worth of advice.

                         Ken de W7ITC