[TenTec] Re: Reference for those who want grounding and shielding inform

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Reference for those who want grounding and shielding information
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (Stuart Rohre)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:10:21 -0500
Mike,
We should free the list of this.  .  As the book is checked out, I cannot
list only a page, but can suggest the whole book is very useful:  "Grounding
and Shielding Techniques in Instrumentation", by Ralph Morrison, John Wiley
and Sons, 1977, (and later editions).   In Library of Congress indexed
shelves, it is in the TK section of electronics.

I do not advocate willy nilly modifying Ten Tec supplies unless there is a
design problem.  I have seen them affected by RF when in proximity to an
antenna near an attic shack.  But, in normal shacks, there is no problem.

As to floating power supplies, there are several military and industrial
grade ones:  Kepco, Hewlett Packard, and many imports, but that serves no
purpose.
I happen to agree with you, that there are things lacking in Astron linear
power supply designs, (such as adequate surge suppression in my opinion).
They are useful to give you the option of locating the ground at the source
of RF.  There, I have answered all your questions.

I am ending the topic.  Those that want education have the complete book
title and publisher to pursue.
Stuart