[TenTec] Centurion amp questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Centurion amp questions
From: benk8dit@serv.net (Ben Kadish K8DIT)
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:08:28 -0800
Hi Phillip,
I've had my Centurion for 2 yrs. now and like it very much. The previous
owner ran it hard for a couple of years and then almost not at all for the
next several years. It's a '95 serial number and the Pride 3-500 tubes will
put out full power. I've changed a filter cap and replaced the bleeder
resistors, but have had no problems other than that. It's quiet and
forgiving. No arcing and no failures in two years. I tend to run it
conservatively by using only the drive power I need to run 600 watts peak
output. Once in a while, I'll go to full power and there's never a complaint
from the ol' girl. I use it on 220V. and I use the Ten Tec 238 tuner with it
when on the low bands, while using wire antennas needing matching. I've had
no RFI
problems in my neighborhood, in a city residential area.  While it's not a
legal limit amp, it has all the specs needed to do all the bands, all modes,
all the time.  My favorite thing about the amp is that the peak reading
output meter is accurate, and with the two meters on panel, there's no need
for another outboard meter. While there are competing amps out there with
similar features and cost.
Ten Tec puts all the features in this one, like 160 meters and QSK,
and power supply inboard, in a clean and attractive rig. Used SB220s, Used
Kenwood TL922s, Used Dentrons, Ameritrons, all
havent got the stuff that Ten Tec does. There are a few higher costing amps
that have a few more features, but I hear lots of complaints about the fan
noise, lots of minor irritants, no service, etc. So, if you've wisely chosen
the 3-500 as the tube of choice, check around, you'll find the Centurion to
be the best. de ben k8dit