[TenTec] Jupiter noise on RX CW

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter noise on RX CW
From: agtaylor@llnl.gov (agtaylor@llnl.gov)
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:59:34 -0800 (PST)
On 31 Oct, Bill Ames wrote:

> Will someone please put the J's output (RX CW and side tone) into a spectrum
> analyzer and give us a list of the components and their levels? The ear is a
> very sensitive instrument and can detect sounds that are really quite low in
> level with respect to the signal. After all, here we have people who can
> copy CW at a zero db sig/noise ratio and then complain they can hear the
> fuzziness of J's voice!

I have worked only two Jupiters on the air to this point and both had
a slight raspiness sound to them. This was discussed a while back on
the reflector and is apparently due to the fact that the CW note is
DSP-produced. I found it mostly curious rather than objectionable.
Still prefer analog Tentec gear though.

73  K7GT

Allan G Taylor

agtaylor@llnl.gov