[TenTec] Jupiter frequency jump?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter frequency jump?
From: Dan.Newby@cti-pet.com (Dan.Newby@cti-pet.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 17:17:11 -0500
Joe,
I am curious as to what your antenna and grounding situation was and is
now. How much power do you run and what kind of amp, if any?
I do not doubt that you had or still have RF getting into the radios. Just
curious if you found out why and where the specific point of entry was?

I have used a Jupiter at two QTHs now with no RF feedback problems. At my
old QTH the antennas were fairly far from the shack, ( tower was
130 feet behind the house). Wouldn't have expected any trouble and didn't
have any. At my new QTH, I am running a double sized G5RV that
is no more than 65 feet from the shack and am having no problems running a
redesigned Hercules 444 and a Nye Viking tuner. I haven't been
in this QTH long, so I don't have the 4-1000 fired up yet. Hope I don't
have any trouble at 1500 watts.

Thanks,
Dan
WD4LUR

                    K6atz@aol.com

                    Sent by:                To:     tentec@contesting.com

                    tentec-admin@cont       cc:

                    esting.com              Subject:     Re: [TenTec] Jupiter
frequency jump?

                    12/05/2001 01:23

                    AM

Don,

As the others said, the Joop has a very different "VFO" so it's not doing
that "digit twitching" thing that the Scout does.  But what you may be
referring to is the fact that if RF gets inside the Jupiter, the frequency
may zoom off across the band.

The Jupiter has some fine DSP stuff in it.  Incoming signals sound great
and
transmit audio sound great.  But if there is RF around (and when isn't
there
if you're transmitting, especially with a vertical?) then RF may get in via

the computer cable, via the remote knob cable, via the microphone, however
it
can.  RF can cause other problems; my Pegasus was even more sensitive in
other ways.  With the Jupiter I only had the "frequency zoom" problem.  I
was
actually able to affect it by putting my hand on the remote;  a bead on the

cable and other work was required.

If you mention this to Ten-Tec tech support, you'll get nothing but a stern

lecture about RF in the shack.  But I did a lot of work moving antennas,
improving grounding and isolating ground loops without resolving the
problem.
  And none of my other radios - from a 1984 FT-102 to a 1997 IC-706 - have
the same problem.  Both of my Ten-Tec radios did.

The other radios have capacitors in strategic locations just inside all
jacks, and beads built into their cables.  I source 75-cent serial cables
for
PDAs from China, and they all come with beads built in.  This is a serious
shortcoming in Ten-Tec radios, which otherwise are renowned for their
quality, and I can't understand why they would rather leave this to us to
fix.  It makes their products really unsuitable for field day or emergency
use.

Although many Ten-Tec owners have this problem, about half of the folks out

there seem fervently religious in their belief that this could never
happen.
Now, most of the guys supporting my contention e-mail me privately so they
don't get flamed.  But I've personally never received anything but
dignified
engineering discussions in reply on this list.  So, comments anyone?

Joe, K6ATZ