[TenTec] Spurious 147.495 MHz signal from RX320

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Spurious 147.495 MHz signal from RX320
From: kh7t@arrl.net (John Buck)
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 13:53:46 -1000
When I tuned the RX320 to 10 meters 26.580MHz (the frequency the P5 was
operating on) I noticed a strong signal on 147.15 repeater frequency.
The signal in my jpole up 70 ft was strong enough to interfere with my
reception of the repeater.  Investigating the neighborhood, I found the
signal was audible for about 500 feet from my shack but was over s9 on
my ht in my backyard under the 40 meter sloper I had connected to the RX320.

Back inside, the source of the signal was the RX320.  The frequency of
the noise depends on the RX320 frequency setting.

It is interesting that the first IF frequency 45 MHz plus the signal
frequency of 28.580 = 73.58 as my estimate of the RX320 oscillator
frequency.

The second harmonic of the oscillator frequency is 147.16 MHz the exact
frequency of the emitted signal.

So is my RX320 broken or is this normal?

I observed this several days ago and posted because I saw a couple of
similar observations posted.

Aloha,
John KH7T