[TenTec] Help with Delta

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Help with Delta
From: knoxr@erim-int.com (knoxr@erim-int.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:35:40 -0500
Good Afternoon Members of the Group!

    Need your help.   Just picked up what looks to be a mint Delta 580 with
matching VFO.   Smoke tested it the other night into both dummy load and into
G5RV antenna via 229B tuner....(using an Autech WR1 SWR and Power Meters)....on
CW it loads up beautifully and puts out full power.   However, when I switch to
SSB all kinds of weird things happen.

     First, when I key the 215 mike, I get this horrendous loud "Crack" in the
audio...the SWR swings to infinity for a split second and then returns to
original low position.   Talking into the mike I might see a brief swing of the
output power to around 40 watts or so and then a slow drop back to zero over a
second or two.  Power output does not follow voice modulation and remains near
zero.     If I crank up the Drive Control past the normal operating position per
the manual, I get horrendous feedback in the audio circuit and wild swings in
the power out...and what sounds to be a very distorted signal.

    On the air, with hardly any power showing on the meter, I am evidently
getting out and got an excellent signal report during a QSO.   Admittedly it was
a short distance, Ann Arbor, Michigan to Chicago.

    Tried different mikes and a different power/swr meter and got the same
results.

    Anyone out there have any idea as to what is going on and where I should
start looking?

    Really appreciate any help you can provide!    E-mail address here is
Richard.Knox@Veridian.com

Thanks in advance and 73!    de KD4BRL  Dick Knox