[TenTec] Reliable Voice/CW Keyer for Omni VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Reliable Voice/CW Keyer for Omni VI+
From: W8HO@qsl.net (Frank W8HO)
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2001 12:53:16 -0500
Hello to all and Happy Holidays!

As I look forward to the remaining contest season I am faced with a
dilemma--Which voice keyer or better yet a combination voice/cw keyer will
operate with an Omni?

I love my pair of Omni Rigs but they do have a "quirk" that makes
contesting life a bit more difficult than it needs to be.  As anyone who
uses an Omni knows--the quirk is their 4 pin Mic with electret voltage
supplied from the rig.  This causes great difficulty for those of us using
the Heil headsets (or any other Heil Microphone).  The Heil cartridges
simply won't drive the Omni unless one uses an amplifier like the W2IHY
amp/equalizer.

It also causes difficulty trying to use a voice keyer for the same
reason.  All the keyers I have tried will not drive the Omni unless routed
through an amplifier like the W2IHY, and by the time u do that, u have
feedback loops or with a couple PC based sound board systems--u get RF on
the transmitted audio.

How about it, anyone out there successfully using a voice keyer with an
Omni?  Naturally my CW keyer by Logikey works fine for CW, but is there a
combo CW/Voice model that someone has gotten to operate properly?

Thanks for ur help and may all of ur Christmas/Holiday wishes be fulfilled!

Frank W8HO (ex WB8ZEV)