[TenTec] Pegasus Questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Questions
From: mark@microenh.com (Mark Erbaugh)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:15:20 -0500
Ronnie,

I've had a Pegasus since October, 2000. Here are my opinions on some of your
questions.

> What is the best way to put the Pegasus on PSK31?

I've tried several different homebrew interfaces and a RigBlaster+, and by
far the easiest is the Rascal (Radio And SoundCard Audio Link) from
www.buxcommco.com. It's $49 assembled or $27 as a kit (which is easy to
build).  This will allow you to use the Pegasus with just about any PSK31
program. There are lots of different programs for PSK31 out there - many of
them free. My favorite is still DigiPan, but it costs you next to nothing to
try them all. The Rascal (and other interfaces, too) will allow you to also
run other modes such as SSTV using the same setup. The RigBlaster+ is nice,
but is overkill IMO. One of the nice features of the RigBlaster+ is that it
makes sure the mic input in muted when using the soundcard. With the
Pegasus, the mic and aux input are separate and only one works at a time, so
that's not an issue. Also, the RigBlasters use a relay to control PTT and it
is not designed for CW keying (see below).

One problem I had with the Pegasus and all the different interfaces I tried
was I needed to ground the computer to the shack ground or I would get
severe hum on the transmitted signal. This happened even with interfaces
that completely isolated the grounds between the computer and the radio.
However, a simple wire from one of the screws that holds the cover on the
computer to my shack ground cleaned things up.

> How could I use the Pegasus and use the keyboard to
> send CW? or can it be done?

You can use the Rascal and a program CWTYPE, which is also available as a
free download. An interesting feature about the Pegasus design is that the
PTT inputs for SSB will also work as a key input when in CW. The Pegasus
only operates in full QSK mode for CW.

> Will there be a problem sitting the Pegasus right
> beside the PC and the monitor?

Some folks have had problems, especially with older less shielded monitors.
I currently have my Pegasus about one foot from my monitor with no problems.
I've heard that LCD monitors can really reduce interference.

> Is anyone using an outboard DSP filter with the
> Pegasus?

I've used a Timewave DSP599zx. Everything worked with no problems.

Mark