[TenTec] Great Speaker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Great Speaker
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:34:00 -0500
If you want a great speaker for your TT rigs, try the Heathkit HS-1661. I've
been using them for a few years and they sound exceptionally good on SSB.
The cabinets are thick aluminum and the speaker is very efficient. The
speaker is mounted on a heavy plywood frame.
There are 2 of these on Ebay right now. Just do a search for Heathkit
speaker. Anything less than $30 is a bargain for these.
I took one apart and sprayed the cabinet gray to match my non Heath rigs.
Radio Shack has a replacement speaker for the inside just in case it's
needed. I had to replace one and it sounds just as good as the original.

For cw. Even better than the MFJ ClearTone (which is great) is the military
LS-166. These have the clear cone speaker and are also resonant at the cw
pitch but are much larger and sound even better. I see that Fair Radio is
selling new ones for $25. They are really ugly, like most mil stuff. You
will need to remove the internal transformer and run the wire directly to
the speaker, install a normal plug and give it a coat of paint to match your
rig. Don't remove the speaker and be sure to maintain the seals otherwise
you will end up with a rattle. I can send a picture if anyone want's to see
it. 73

Steve Ellington
N4LQ