[TenTec] Merits of all bands in one box - was ORION

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Merits of all bands in one box - was ORION
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:13:28 -0800 (PST)
I really don't think it is so much a matter of having
to expect that they have made compromises but is
instead an observation of what is out there currently.
In order to put all those bands into one box and to
sell it at price people will pay there will be design
compromises. There's really nothing wrong with that in
and of itself. What I don't want is the manufactures
to conclude that those are the only radios that hams
will want to buy.

Additionally my point (perhaps not expressed as
clearly as it should have been) was intended to be
more from an operational perspective from the home
shack. And in that case no matter how good a
particular DC to daylight rig is, it simply will not
meet my needs for what I'm doing. I want the ability
to monitor (both audibly and visually) 4 or more bands
all at once, and to work with them completely
independently of each other. There?s not a single
multiband, or for that matter even a single-band
multimode radio out there that can do what I?m trying
to achieve. So, I?m now in the process of
transitioning to an all transverter based approach to
my VHF/UHF/SHF weak signal operations.

But there are realistic and good reasons to want or
have an all in one box. And the current offerings will
do the job fine.

Duane
N9DG