[TenTec] Administrivia: Self-help: Problems with Posting

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Administrivia: Self-help: Problems with Posting
From: jmlowman@directvinternet.com (Jim Lowman)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:27:21 -0800
If you are having problems posting to the tentec@contesting.com list,
please take a few minutes to follow these links:

http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/listadmins/plaintext.html

The first one is rather lengthy, but seems to cover most popular e-mail
clients.

AOL 6.0 and 7.0 users, especially, should read the section that pertains
to "Turning Off HTML and MIME."  By default, AOL 6.0 and above send
multi-part messages; one part in plain text that can be read by all
e-mail client software, and HTML for those readers that recognize it.
If you don't turn off this option, your messages to the list will be
rejected because of multi-part and HTML content.

Most of the messages that are being rejected are rejected for the reason
stated above.

The other problem is that some of the new "freebie" or downloadable
e-mail clients, and browsers with e-mail capability such as Netscape,
have HTML set as the installation default.  Normally it involves only
finding the configuration option to send plain text as opposed to
HTML, and making that change.  Detailed instructions can be found for
most common e-mail clients.

I would ask that you PLEASE try to solve the problem using this
documentation before asking me for help.  After years of answering
support questions, one thing that I've found is that the person
sitting behind the keyboard is in the best position to fix the problem.

I'm going to start writing a mini-FAQ for this list, but time is not
on my side at the moment.

Thanks for your consideration and 73 de Jim - AD6CW